Monday, July 13, 2009

Trial Date Set for Nicholas Sheley Assault Case

Guest Entry by Katfish!

Today, July 6, I attended a pre - trial conference for Nicholas T. Sheley at the Knox County courthouse in Galesburg , IL. Sheley is facing felony charges of Aggravated Battery and Criminal Damage to Property and a Misdemeanor charge of Aggravated Assault. The charges stem from an April 17 incident at the Knox County jail in which Sheley is accused of taking the metal legs off a chair and throwing them at correctional officers, injuring two. He is also accused of punching one officer in the face. Bond was set at $500,000. If convicted of the battery charges he could face up to 14 years in prison.

Sheley has been held on a 10 million dollar bond in Knox County since July 1, 2008 where he is awaiting trial on murder charges. Sheley is accused of bludgeoning 8 people to death in a 6 day, 2 state killing spree that occurred in late June 2008. In Knox County he is charged with 17 counts, 10 of which are first-degree murder, for the death of Ronald Randall, 65, of Galesburg and faces the death penalty if convicted. The capital trial is tentatively set to be heard in Summer 2010.

Here is my “in the courtroom” report for today‘s hearing:

I get here at 8:30 for the 9:00 hearing so I have plenty of time and it’s a good thing because when I come in the door of the courthouse people are lined up to the door waiting to pass through security, that’s unusual. Hmmmm….did some people have too much fun this 4th of July weekend?

I’m not sure which courtroom today’s hearing will be held in. Judge Stephen Mathers was appointed to hear this case after Sheley‘s public defender, James Harrell, filed a motion for a substitution of judge at a earlier hearing. I have never been in Judge Mather’s court, but since felony’s are dealt with on the second floor I head up the stairs. Once again there are a lot of people around. It is unusual for a hearing to be held for Sheley when the courthouse is so busy because of security concerns. I hope the date hasn’t been changed. I have been without Internet service for 5 days which is the form of communication I use with those who usually update me.

I peek in the large courtroom and see Ronald Randall’s family seated in the front row behind the prosecution.

Continue reading at katfish ponders....

0 comments: