Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Kelly Soo Park Case - A Note to T&T Readers

George Buehler, Mark Kassabian & Kelly Soo Park, July 2012
Update: clarity
May 8th, 2013
Tomorrow, there is one more pretrial hearing where motions will be argued in the Kelly Soo Park case before jury selection kicks off on May 13th. I will attend this hearing tomorrow and file a report.

A short synopsis of the facts: Park has been charged with 187, felony murder. The prosecution alleges Park was hired by her employer Dr. Munir Uwaydah to kill the daughter of Greg Redding as retaliation for Greg backing out of a joint business venture. According to the charging document:

"Greg was going to run one of Dr. Uwaydah's pharmacies, Golden State Pharmaceuticals and manufacture a pain cream that Dr. UWwaydah developed. Ultimately, Greg backed out of the business negotiations on 3-10-2008 and Juliana was killed five days later."

This is my note to T&T readers. 
I am at a crossroad, trying to determine if there is enough reader interest for me to cover this case. My number one case at this time is the Cameron Brown case.  That case may or may not start in the fall of this year. It may be held over until 2014.  That decision could be made in June.

I am asking T&T readers for comments or email feedback on your interest in this trial.  This trial, and the number of weeks that will be involved is kicking off at a difficult time for me where I have increased responsibilities to Mr. Sprocket's business.

There are other news organizations (ABC 20/20, NBC Dateline, CBS 48 Hours) and blog web sites that have extensively followed this case and will be reporting on it.  I had planned on attending opening statements if I can get a reserved seat. However, your feedback will help me to decide whether or not to invest the time and expense to attend the trial and file daily reports.

Thank you in advance, T&T readers!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't follow it could you tweet updates from other sources? Your coverage has been the most up to date so far. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Your coverage has been excellent and would love it to continue if possible. If you cant, could you forward updates via twitter to the other news agencies you mentioned? Cant seem to find good updates anywhere but here.

Anonymous said...

Sprocket, I think a lot depends on your own personal level of interest in this case AND your ability to invest time and resources to be able to follow it and post in a current stream. As you note, other media sources are covering this, but they will not being your unique and detailed reporting that takes the reader right into the courtroom. On the other hand, when real life interceeds for you(as it must for anyone!!) and you are not able to post same day or next day coverage, you are missed and continuity tends to get lost. If you decide to follow this case, I will right here reading, but if your personal interest and situation dictates waiting for the Cameron Brown case that you've been following so long, I'll be here for that, too!

SeniorMoments

Sprocket said...

I don't tweet coverage of a case; I usually blog on a case that I attend.

I guess you could say I've become a trial snob, in that I don't see the benefit in covering a case that I don't personally attend.

My trial coverage on T&T is different than other blogs in that the content is originally reporting. It doesn't rely on other news sources for content.

Anonymous said...

Will you be covering the Lonnie Franklin Jr. trial when it eventually kicks off? (maybe this year?)

Sprocket said...

Although I've missed the last two hearings in this case, I will be very, very surprised if the Lonnie Franklin Jr (The Grim Sleeper) case goes to trial this year. Very surprised. POSSIBLY next year, but I'm not that optimistic.

Last I heard, the defense had not even started testing the ballistics, much less the DNA. That's a lot of ballistics to test, and a lot of DNA to test.

Motions have to be written and argued to enter much of this into evidence by the people. Then the defense gets to counter the motions.

Anonymous said...

Girl on girl murder? Of course we're interested! (No one's coverage is as personal & compelling as yours. Please do it.)

Anonymous said...

Please cover this trial
thank You

Mikki said...

Sprocket with out your indebt coverage we would never get the real story. I had the chance to be in the courtroom on the Stephanie Lazarus trial and you were spot on? I would to miss anything with this trial. I truly enjoy your style of bring us readers in the courtroom with you.... Please, please cover this trial. Channel 11 did a small segment on this story this evening so I would bet new readers would like to read your trial coverage.

Anonymous said...

Please cover this trial! You are the best!

Wise latina

Anonymous said...

Please cover it!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, please cover this trial, if at all possible!

NancyB said...

I am interested in this case and have followed all of your posts on her on your blog. However, the Brown case holds 1st place with me. If it's possible for you to do both then all the better for the loyal fans of your coverage. If life events are such that it is stress producing then let it go. Hope you are doing well and that Mr Sprocket has his full health back!

NancyB said...

Yes please do cover this trial. I've been interested in it since you posted your very 1st article on her so long ago. The Brown trial is at the top of my list. If for any reason the timing is not good for you now to devote so much of your time to a trial then all of us, your loyal fans will understand. Hope you are doing well and that Mr Sprocket has regained his full vim & vigor -health! My husband very suddenly and unexpectedly died 6 months ago and I have been truly a lost soul.
Hugs to you.

Sprocket said...

If the Brown case does start in October this year, I will be covering it.