Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Southern California Wildfires

Personal Stories
City: Los Angeles, CA
Basin: San Fernando Valley


I took the above photo about 30 minutes ago by stepping onto my street in front of my house and pointing my camera at the western sky. It's filled with smoke. The winds have taken hold of the smoke and the smell has invaded through the tiny cracks of my home.

I then pointed my camera at the eastern horizon. It's more of the same.


The Creek Fire started around 4:00 am near Sylmar, CA, which is about 25 miles from my home. Sylmar is in the northeastern edge of the San Fernando Valley, and butts up against the Angeles National Forest. This story from local ABC7 gives some information on this fire.

A little ways up the I-5 below Santa Clarita the Rye Fire broke out this morning. Santa Clarita is in Los Angeles county and about 40 miles from where I live. This Los Angeles Times story gives a quick update on this fire.

The Thomas Fire sprung up overnight in Ventura County, which is 50 miles to the west of where I live. Over 150 structures in that county have been destroyed. Thousands of people have evacuated the city of Ventura and surrounding areas. This Washington Post story will give you the latest on what Southern Californians are facing.

2 comments:

amulbunny's random thoughts said...

When I was driving my mom home from her doctor's appt in South Torrance this morning, we were coming down Hawthorne BLVD going North and the smoke from the Sylmar Fire looked like a bomb cloud. I'm having some respiratory problems, even this far away in Redondo Beach. I just heard a doctor from UCSB being interviewed on KNBC4 who said if you can see the smoke even if it's not close, there are particulates in the air. We're 4 miles due west from the ocean and our humidity is 7%.

David In TN said...

I hope you are all right and it misses you. Two years ago a tornado (over 100 MPH) totally destroyed my house. I got in the basement just in time.

I'm OK now, have another house. As long as you stay safe, you can recover.