Friday, March 23, 2012

Meet Author Matthew McGough


The Baseball Reliquary and Pasadena Public Library present a discussion and book signing with Matthew McGough, author of Bat Boy: Coming of Age with the New York Yankees, on Saturday, March 24, 2012, at 1:00 pm, at the Allendale Branch Library, 1130 S. Marengo Ave., Pasadena.

More info at PasadenaNow.com

Matthew will be writing the definitive book on the Stephanie Lazarus case and this is your opportunity to meet the author and get a signed copy of his autobiographical book. Mr. Sprocket and I started reading Bat Boy on our morning walks and it also kept us completely occupied on our across-the-city light rail trip on Wednesday. For Mr. Sprocket to be completely engrossed in this book says quite a lot since he is not a sports fan. I've had the fortunate opportunity to get to know Matthew over the past year that I covered the Lazarus trial. Reading Matthew's first book has convinced me he is the right person to tell the true story of Sherri Rasmussen, Stephanie Lazarus and how their lives intersected.
 

Matthew McGough for "The Moth" a video experience where he talks about his first day on the job with the Yankees.

8 comments:

Maddie said...

Can't wait for the Lazarus book to come out! It's sad that I'm making that pronouncement, though, and that Sherri didn't get the chance to live out her life.

Anonymous said...

I just watched the Moth video ~ what a delightful person your friend is!!!

Anonymous said...

How is McGough pronounced, please?

Sprocket said...

McGough is pronounced

McGOFF, rhymes with cough.

Anonymous said...

I am interested in when Matthew's book on the Lazarus case may be published. Also the "Scream" book.
I do envy you, Betsy. You are so fortunate to be doing what you are doing.

Sprocket said...

Anon @ 5:44 PM:
I am fortunate that I have a husband that supports my passion and doesn't insist that I go back to work (at some type of regular job) to make our lives easier.

Doing what I do doesn't pay anything (yet) but the personal rewards of helping others through service are priceless.

Matthew's Lazarus book is next. Unfortunately I don't have permission yet to announce when it's due to the publisher. When I'm allowed to give a notice on the book, I will.

However, Matthew will have an article coming out in The Atlantic online very soon that I think everyone will be interested in. I'll put a notice up when it's published.

Anonymous said...

I discovered your blog the last week of Stephanie's trial. Thank you so much for your dedication to the truth, and coverage of this trial. One question? Has Stephanie Lazarus ever taken a lie detector test? I know it is not used in a trial, but, her brother and lawyer continue to protest the verdict, I would think if she is so innocent,(not) she would have insisted on one??

Sprocket said...

Anon @ 6:05 AM:
Thank you. I agree that my trial coverage strives to reflect the truth revealed at the trial.

Lie Detector Test
To quickly answer your question, I don't believe Lazarus has ever taken one or demanded to take one. It should be noted that I don't have any insider information to substantiate my belief.

If you haven't already, I recommend viewing the full interview/interrogation video I uploaded on YouTube. You can find the link to it on the Stephanie Lazarus Trial Coverage/Quick Links page.

I'd also recommend reading the full transcript, because it includes audio recorded before and after the video. (Unfortunately, the copy I uploaded is not in "exact" page order. However, it's easy to figure out which page is first and to put them in order.

During the end of the video, Lazarus is asked if she would provide a DNA sample. She says, "Maybe" in answer to that question asked of her on two separate occasions.

And, as we know, she does not voluntarily provide a DNA sample. One was obtained secretly from following her, (which was the basis of her arrest) and another was obtained as soon as she was arrested in the jail at Parker Center.

I personally do not hold much stock in lie detector tests. They are subjective, and it is well established that there are ways to fool them.

I would be much more reliant on a "truth wizard" or a natural at lie detection or someone who has been trained in Dr. Paul Ekman's methods of lie detection.

For more information of a lie detection expert, I recommend "Eyes For Lies", a clinically tested individual who is highly accurate in detecting deception and lies.