Thursday, June 4, 2009

Haut de la Garenne Abuse Victims Abused Again By Jersey Attorney General

Saddened, but not at all surprised, two of the cases in the historic abuse scandal have been dropped by William Bailhache, stating he had not found sufficient grounds to prosecute either case.

Nine victims gave evidence about the Haut de la Garenne case but Bailhache questioned the credibility of some of it.

He also said the complaints did not support each other enough.

Charges against the Jane and Alan McGuire, who were house parents at a St. Clements home were dropped by the island's Attorney General in 1998 and Bailhache said he had not found sufficient evidence for overturning his predecessor's decision.

This is just wrong on so many levels.

The press had Bailhache’s statement during the afternoon, but it was embargoed until midnight.

Senator Syvret was informed of the cases being dropped and began calling the victims to see how they were and offering his support.

The survivors didn’t know.

They – the most important people involved in this situation - hadn’t been told of the decision.

Jersey oligarchy media had been informed of the story, and are waiting for this afternoon’s embargoed press release – before the survivors were informed that the two maniacs and thugs who abused them will not face justice.

This is abuse – all over again.

The survivors – having been informed by me, contacted the police – who reluctantly admitted that, yes, the McGuires would not face justice, and that their plan had been to call the survivors and inform them this evening.

Yet the cops – under the “New Management” of David Warcup & co – were far more interested in how the survivors found out about the spin-doctoring of the decision.

I am so thoroughly disgusted with the government of Jersey and being a Christian, cannot write what I am thinking their punishment should be.

My heart and prayers go out to the victims, Senator Syvret, Lenny Harper and all the others who tried for justice and closure in this horrific, disgraceful story.

Statement by the Attorney General (Probably not a good idea to read if you have high blood pressure.)
Senator Stuart Syvret Blog


Anonymous said...

I'm not asking that you publish this comment, but I just want to say that this is a story not very well known or covered in the US media and I think I may be typical in the fact that I have no idea what I should be upset about.

Anonymous said...

I am stunned by this turn of events. This decision cannot be allowed to stand.

donchais said...

Anon – June 4

You are correct – Haut de la Garenne is not very well known or covered in the US media. Over one hundred victims of abuse came forward with horrific stories as well as claims of a government cover-up. It was only splashed across US media headlines when the excavations began at the children’s home. That was February ‘08.

The media dropped coverage, choosing to focus on the then, upcoming US presidential election - I choose not to – the quest for the truth and justice became a passion.

I have followed this story for almost a year and a half (if interested, check the blog archives) and have communicated with several of the victims and advocates.

Child abuse is wrong not just in the US, but anywhere it occurs.

ritanita said...

Thanks for the update. I can't believe what a roller coaster this has been. I get almost hopeful that something good will happen and the authorities pull something like this.

Sprocket said...

It will be the same as usual in the Jersey government until the people demand a change.