Thursday, October 15, 2015

2.5 Million Settlement Reached With Children of Woman Assaulted by LAPD Officer Mary O'Callaghan

October 15, 2015
Kate Mather of the Los Angeles Times reported yesterday:
The Los Angeles City Council unanimously agreed Wednesday to pay $2.5 million to settle a lawsuit with the children of a woman who was kicked in the crotch by an LAPD police officer and later died, resulting in a criminal conviction for the officer.
 The full article can be read HERE.

LAPD Officer Mary O'Callaghan was found guilty of assault under color of authority on June 5. She was sentenced on July 23, 2015.

I attended the sentencing hearing. Judge Sam Ohta denied a probation recommendation from the DA's Office. O'Callaghan was sentenced to three years with 20 months suspended. Because of AB109 realignment, the remainder of O'Callaghan's sentence was served in LA County jail.

Mary O'Callaghan cried during her sentencing and gave a tearful apology to Mrs. Thomas, Alesia's mother. O'Callaghan said:

"I never had the opportunity to say I'm sorry. ... I didn't have the opportunity until now. ... Mother to mother, I'm extremely sorry for the loss of your daughter."

O'Callaghan starts to break down, and then continues. "There's not a day [that?] goes by that I don't think of her. I pray for her every day... I pray for her children ... that her children and you and other family members, and how much [she?] loved and  [to tell them? please?] forgive her. .... I'm sorry."
After O'Callaghan's apology, Mrs. Thomas reached out her arms to Mary and asked the court if she could hug her.

0 comments: