One of the mysteries of the Spector murder trial is whether or not Lana Clarkson could have had the strength to turn the weapon on herself and fire. Firearms expert James Carroll testified the Colt Cobra requires 11 pounds of pressure to fire the weapon without the hammer pulled back. With the hammer pulled back, it requires 4.5 pounds of pressure to fire the weapon. At my request, T&T's own "firearms expert," Mortie, has been kind enough to outline an example of what 4.5 pounds of trigger pull would feel like to fire the Colt Cobra in the already primed position. Sprocket.
Some experiments to try
Here is a simple experiment you can try at home and be your own “Sprocket” or “Joe Friday”. Realize this is only an experiment and is not an accurate demonstration of firing a real Colt Cobra. It is only to demonstrate the difficulties and problems with human anatomy, specifically tensions and articulations in your hand. No cow heads or chickens will be hurt doing this exercise.
1. Locate a black/blue steel paper clamp as shown below. The 1” size has (at least from Staples) had about 4 pounds of pressure to open it. I measured the force with an old fish scale (spring type) and that would have been a good brook trout.
2. Take a pen of any type but make sure it is thick enough to be clamped securely in the 1” clip. Make sure there is a gap left where the spring closes about 1/8” so the pen is securely held.
3. Now take the clip and using your right hand (or left if you prefer) hold the clip using your index finger and your palm. I have not put the pen in the clip for purposes of clarity.
4. With the clip in this position and pen inserted in the clip, rotate your fist directly in front of your face so that your thumb just touches your nose. This is the distance that hand holding a Colt Cobra 2” barrel would have to be to create the measurements made and confirmed by both the prosecution and defense lawyers for the placement of the gun in Lana Clarkson's mouth.
5. Now squeeze your index finger and let the pen drop free from the clip. Some people cannot squeeze hard enough but most will be able to do this. It is not comfortable and if you have arthritis (like me) it hurts. You will also understand some of the dynamics of the human hand and tensions in your ligaments. Now put your self in the position where a year earlier, both of your wrists were in casts from being broken and then re-injured. It is inconceivable and impossible for me to think that a woman would take this position to commit suicide.