This page will be periodically updated. Sprocket
Joshua Woodward Preliminary Hearing Witness List
Day 1, October 21st, 2013, Day 1 Part II and Day 1, Part III
1. Detective John Shafia (LAPD Supervising Detective)
Detective Shafia interviewed the victim, Ms. Doe after she experienced a miscarriage. Ms. Doe recounted a series of events over the last several months of her relationship with the defendant, Joshua Woodward. She became pregnant by the defendant and was pressured by Woodward to have an abortion, which she refused to do. About two months later, after two sessions of unusual foreplay with the defendant, Ms. Doe believes she was administered a drug that caused her to miscarry. She believes the drug was put inside her during the foreplay.
Detective Shafia took over the investigation on October 25th, 2009. Detective Shafia testified that it was entirely Ms. Doe's decision to cooperate in a plan to misinform the defendant about the miscarriage. When the defendant came back to town, the victim told him that she had another episode of vomiting and cramping. She told the defendant her doctor told her if that happened again, she would lose the baby.
In the early morning hours of October 25th, Detective Shafia and his partner intercepted Woodward on the street near Ms. Doe's apartment. Officers observed he took something that appeared to be wrapped in a piece of plastic out of his front right pocket and dropped it to the ground. Woodward was arrested and booked.
2. Dr. Jessica Kingston (OBGYN at UC San Diego) Expert witness hired by the prosecution to review medical records and investigative reports and render an opinion as to the cause of Ms. Doe's miscarriage. Dr. Kingston's opinion was that Ms. Doe's miscarriage was due to an abortificsant.
Day 2, October 22nd, 2013 and Day 2, Part II
3. Dr. Timothy Tsui (OBGYN at Cedars Sinai, victim's doctor) Dr. Tsui saw the victim for a single visit, her first on October 8th, 2009. He does not remember seeing the patient and was unable to identify a photo of her. Her first visit was normal and she was administered an ultrasound during that visit.
4. Dr. Sandra Rodriguez-Cruz (Senior forensic chemist employed by the DEA) Dr. Rodriguez-Cruz tested several evidence samples forwarded to her from the LAPD. Two of the samples tested positive for the drug Misoprostol.
1. Detective John Shafia (continuing direct testimony and some cross examination)
Day 3, November 18th, 2013
1. Detective John Shafia (direct and cross regarding discovery documents not turned over to the defense)
5. Detective Kimberly Fairchild (direct and cross regarding discovery documents not turned over to the defense)
Day 4, December 9th, 2013
2. Dr. Jessica Kingston (testimony complete)
1. Detective John Shafia (cross examination)
Day 5, December 16th, 2013
1. Detective John Shafia (cross and redirect)
5. Detective Kimberly Fairchild (direct and cross)
Day 6 Part II, January 23, 2014
1. Detective John Shafia (cross)
2. Detective Kimberly Fairchild (cross and redirect)