Saturday, November 22, 2008

Return of Subpoena Hearing in Nicholas Sheley Trial

Guest Entry by katfish!

Yesterday, November 19, I attended another return of subpoena hearing in the Nicholas Sheley case. Sheley 29, is accused of killing eight people in a two-state killing spree last June. Knox County, IL gets the first crack at trying Sheley in connection to the killing spree. Sheley is facing 17 counts for the death of Ronald Randall, 65, in Galesburg, IL. If convicted Sheley will face the death penalty.

I waited to post this entry until I could get copies of the motions and orders that were entered yesterday. Unfortunately, when I went to the courthouse this morning I was told the court reporter still had the paperwork, so I wouldn't be able to get copies. I was told to check tomorrow. I was a little lost taking notes yesterday because there was a lot of back and forth between the attorneys and the judge referencing the motions. I will do the best I can without them for now. If I'm able to go to town tomorrow, I will try again. I will post them on DocStock or another one of those document holding sites and post a link if I'm able to get them.

It's 9:45 a.m. when I arrive at the Knox County courthouse for the 10 a.m. hearing. When I get to the door of the courthouse I notice a Sheriff's patrol car pulling up with two unmarked cars behind it. This looks like it might be Sheley. I'm a little surprised because he didn't attend the last return of subpoena hearing(it took about 5 minutes). Perhaps there will be more to the hearing today than just return of subpoenas. I go through security and make my way up the steps to the second floor courtroom.

When I reach the top of the stairway I'm stopped by security and told I have to wait a moment. They must be transferring prisoners. This is a very old building (built in 1882-1884) and there is only one elevator and the stairway winds around the elevator shaft. It takes just a moment before I hear the doors to the elevator open and out comes Nicholas Sheley with his normal entourage of Sheriff's personnel. Once Sheley was taken into a room off of the courtroom I was allowed to pass.

Continue reading at katfish ponders...

0 comments: