Friday, August 7, 2009

Cameron Brown Retrial: 911 Call

Today, I obtained a copy of the transcript of the complete 911 call the defendant made on November 8th, 2000. I've transcribed the pages exactly as they appear.

PAGE 1

COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES
DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE

In the Matter of:
Racho Palos Verdes Investigation

L.A.S.D. Case No.
000-04268-1741-001


TRANSCRIPTION OF 911 TAPE

California Highway Patrol
Los Angeles Communication Center

Transcribed by:

Yvonne A. Smith
County of Los Angeles
District Attorney's Office

PAGE 2

Los Angeles District Attorney's Office

911 TAPE

LEGEND

FEMALE VOICE1 - CHP, Glori Spriggs

911 OPERATOR - CHP, male voice

MALE CALLER - Cameron Brown

MALE VOICE1 - Unknown

FEMALE VOICE2 - L.A. County Fire Department

MALE VOICE2 - L.A. County Fire Department


FEMALE VOICE1: California Highway Patrol, Los Angeles Communication Center for November 8th, 2000. All 9-1-1 calls regarding log twenty-one sixteen are included. This tape starts at approximately 1458 hours. This tape transcript was prepared November 10th, 2000 by custodian of records Glori Spriggs, ID number A04473. I hereby certify that this cassette recording is a true copy of the original master tape on file with the Department of California Highway Patrol, Los Angeles Communications Center, Los Angeles, California.

911 OPERATOR: 9-1-1 emergency, what are you reporting?

MALE CALLER: Um, my daughter fell off a cliff in

PAGE 3

Palos Verdes.

911 OPERATOR: Where, where at sir, in Palos Verdes?

MALE CALLER: Uh, Portuguese Bend.

911 OPERATOR: Sir, you down at San Pedro area?

MALE CALLER: No, not San Pedro. It's Palos Verdes area.

911 OPERATOR: Okay. Port, is there cross streets, where they get access from?

MALE CALLER: Uh, no cross streets, god, Wayfarer's Chapel, In, Inspiration Point, that area.

911 OPERATOR: Okay, um, --

MALE CALLER: Uh, the sun bathing beach, uh, --

MALE VOICE1: Abalone Cove.

MALE CALLER: Abalone Cove. I parked at Abalone Cove parking lot and hiked. So, I hiked (inaudible).

911 OPERATOR: Okay, one second, one second please, alright?

MALE CALLER: Okay, Oh shit, oh man. Oh, thanks for letting me use your phone.

911 OPERATOR: How, how bad is she? Is she --

MALE CALLER: I don't know. I haven't gone down and found her. I just found somebody with a phone and called you first. Now, I'm going to look.

911 OPERATOR: Okay, Be careful, be careful, be

PAGE 4

careful.

MALE CALLER: I'll have to back track to get down.

MALE VOICE1: (Inaudible).

MALE CALLER: Yeah, well, no, you need shoes.

MALE VOICE1: I got some.

MALE CALLER: Mine?

MALE VOICE1: (Inaudible).

MALE CALLER: Yeah.

[Background voices)

MALE VOICE1: Inspiration Point.

MALE CALLER: Yeah, I told him that. You guys, you guys might want to get dressed so, huh, they're gonna be coming.

MALE VOICE1: What?

MALE CALLER: I don't know. I had to come back this way. I couldn't see her.

911 OPERATOR: Okay, I'm, I'm gonna put you at, um, I see where Portuguese Bend is. I'm gonna put it on Palos Veredes, um, south, um, you're gonna be west off Cherry Hill, so hold on one second.

MALE CALLER: Okay. (Inaudable) somebody's gonna be coming so, huh, sorry.

911 OPERATOR: What is your name sir?

MALE CALLER: Cameron Brown.

PAGE 5

911 OPERATOR: How old is your daughter?

MALE CALLER: Four.

911 OPERATOR: And your phone number is gonna be X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X. That's what you're using. So, stay on the line for the Fire Department, okay.

MALE CALLER: Okay. Man.

[Phone ringing]

FEMALE VOICE2: L.A. County Fire, operator seventy - -

911 OPERATOR: County Fire, CHP, I've got a party. I'm gonna transfer you. His four year old daughter fell off a cliff.

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay.

911 OPERATOR: in Palos Verdes. He said he's at Portuguese Bend, uh, right near Abalone Cove, uh, - -

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay, (inaudible) - -

911 OPERATOR: - - I've, I've got, I put in the cross streets from me as, uh, he's near Wayfarer's Chapel but it's gonna be on Palos Verdes Drive South, west of Cherry Hill Lane.

FEMALE VOICE2: Palos Verdes - -

911 OPERATOR: Drive South, west of Cherry Hill Lane.

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay.

911 OPERATOR: I'm gonna put you on and Ill stay

PAGE 6

on the line for a little bit, okay. Go ahead, sir.

FEMALE VOICE2: Hello, sir?

MALE CALLER: Hello.

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay, sir, I'm just putting in that address right now. Cherry Hill Lane, Rancho Palos Verdes, correct?

911 OPERATOR: Correct.

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay.

MALE CALLER: Hello.

FEMALE VOICE2: Hello, sir?

911 OPERATOR: Cameron? Cameron.

MALE CALLER: Yes.

911 OPERATOR: Talk to the Fire Department.

MALE VOICE: Okay.

FEMALE VOICE2: What's your cell phone number or phone number?

MALE VOICE: I don't know. I borrowed, - -

911 OPERATOR: Okay, it's, Fire, it's X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X, is the phone that he's using.

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay (inaudible). Okay, now, uh, what seems to be the problem?

MALE CALLER: My daughter fell off a cliff in Palos Verdes.

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay, how far down did she go, approximately?

PAGE 7

MALE CALLER: Oh, I don't know. That's really far. A hundred yards.

FEMALE VOICE2: Uh, yards?

MALE CALLER: Yeah, looks like.

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay, sir, let me confirm this. Palos Verdes Drive, cross is Cherry Hill Lane.

911 OPERATOR: Yeah, it's gonna actually between, um, uh, it's gonna be east of Wayfarer's Chapel, west of that Cherry Hill Lane.

FEMALE VOICE2: Okay.

MALE VOICE2: Is he at Portu, does he know where he is? Is he on Portuguese Point?

911 OPERATOR: Actually, um, he, he said he's at the, um, at the, at the Portuguese Bend area which is Portuguese Point.

MALE VOICE2: Right, I got Portuguese Point. I have Inspiration Point. All of that --

911 OPERATOR: Yeah.

MALE VOICE2: -- Portuguese Bend.

MALE CALLER: The sun bathing beach.

MALE VOICE2: Sun bathing beach?

MALE CALLER: Yeah, you know, where the nude bathers go. I don't know.

911 OPERATOR: He accessed from Abalone Cove, is where he parked.

PAGE 8

MALE VOICE2: Where?

MALE CALLER: Yeah.

911 OPERATOR: Abalone Cove.

MALE VOICE2: Okay, - -

911 OPERATOR: (Inaudible).

MALE VOICE2: - - and what was the name of the church again? West of the church.

9111 OPERATOR: Uh, it's gonna be east of Wayfarer's Chapel.

MALE VOICE2: East of Wayfarer's Chapel?

911 OPERATOR: Yeah, Probably the nearest cross street, (inaudible) I'm looking at this now. I'm looking at the Thomas Guide, is gonna be Pepper Tree.

MALE CALLER: I'm by the firing range.

MALE VOICE2: You're between Pepper Tree and Cherry, uh, Cherry Lane, Hill Lane?

MALE CALLER: I don't - -

911 OPERATOR: Are you closer to Inspiration Point or Portuguese Point?

MALE VOICE2: Do you know which one you're closer too?

MALE CALLER: (Inaudible) points are. I, you, know, I don't know. I'm in between, right now, the sun bathing beach and I'm on the east point. She fell off the east point from there.

PAGE 9

MALE VOICE2: Okay, go ahead - -

MALE CALLER: By the firing range.

MALE VOICE2: East point of sun bathing beach.

MALE CALLER: Yeah, by the archery range.

MALE VOICE2: Near the archery range.

MALE CALLER: Yeah.

MALE VOICE2: Okay, sir, are you near her or can you see her from where you are?

MALE CALLER: No. I, I borrowed this phone and every time I move, it cuts off. I'm standing here and he's, he, the guy I borrowed the phone from, he went down to look.

MALE VOICE2: Okay, CHP, are you guys sending anybody?

911 OPERATOR: Uh, no, (inaudible). It's gonna be, um, if anybody, it be the S.O., Lomita.

MALE VOICE2: Okay, we'll go ahead and give them a call. Sir, you want me to call 'em? We'll give them a call.

911 OPERATOR: Okay.

MALE VOICE2: Sir, we're gonna have units on their way.

MALE CALLER: Okay, thanks a lot.

MALE VOICE2: Thank you.

911 OPERATOR: Alright, bye, thank you.

PAGE 10

MALE VOICE2: Okay, bye.

[End of recording]


5 comments:

Mike Holley said...

What a cold-hearted bastard. No 'please hurry', 'please help', no 'OMG my daughter'.

Seems to me he showed about as much emotion as ordering a pizza.

A parent-any normal parent-would be going ballistic and going after their child, even if it meant risking their life.

Maybe Rachel can set-up a webpage for poor Cameron.

Anonymous said...

and where's all the supposed crying on the 911 call he claimed when he was interviewed by the detective. I hit a bird with my car once and I showed more emotion than this callous a-hole.

Sprocket said...

A quick update.

I am working on Day 7, the continuation of the direct of Detective Leslie. I'm not even 1/4 of the way through my notes, so they may not go up until very late tonight or tomorrow morning.

I did not go to court on Day 8, since I was getting Sprockey ready to go to the vet. I do have the afternoon session for Day 9 and all day for Day 10.

I will continue to work on getting the testimony up for these days over the long weekend break. Court resumes Tuesday, August 11th at 9:15 am.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Sprocket. I so look forward to your posts every day. Please keep up the good work.

Sprocket said...

Another update:

It's 12:30 am here and I've just reached the lunch break time in my notes for Day 7. I have 27 more pages (front and back) to go covering this day. I will have to continue work on this tomorrow in between real life responsibilities.